Tracking efficiency

It’s been a month since the launch of “Save Sea Turtles!”, my 1st Android game. I’m waiting a little bit more before writing a full post-mortem but today I’m going to have a look at something else: Time tracking & efficiency.

Soon after I started working on “Save Sea Turtles!”, I decided to track the time I was really working on the game. Development started on March and ended on September, but this is not a good measure of how much time I poured in because I’ve been working on the game now and then, on my spare time since I have a full time job.

I used Paymo for time tracking. It’s great & free (with limits) so I recommend you give it a try if you are looking for these kind of things. They have a program you can download and execute it when you start working; It then monitors what application is active each given moment and measures the time you spend on it so at the end of a work session you can see how much time you really spent coding, how much designing graphics, or… how much reading twitter!

Thanks to this tracking, now I know that this game really took an estimated 175 hours to build from start to finish, with an average of 29 hours / month during the course of 6 months.
That would be 22 days of full-time work (8 hours per day), which is around a month if you take into account Monday > Friday weeks only (e.g., not working on Saturday or Sunday!).

Looking at the following graph, I also observed a strange pattern in my working hours:

Hours worked

Hours worked on “Save Sea Turtles!” – May > Aug


I don’t know why, but I seem to put more hours in at the middle of the month; there is a spike around the 15th of each month… strange!

So… working on the side of a full-time job means x6 times slower development, at least for me. :(

Now, it’s #LD48 time! :)

Discussion2 Comments

  1. Goudie says:

    Interesting !